Wednesday 1 April 2009

The Aftermath

John O’Groats to Lands End: The Team AllenRowe JOGLE!!

Or

Heaven and Hell in 13 ½ Days - A Fat Boy’s Cycle Excursion...


The Aftermath.


In the weeks and months after completing the JOGLE, Ray and I continued to ride as much as weather and timetabling allowed, meeting up whenever we could. Christmas and New Year came and went in a blur and it was a month or so before I get back on the bike, and wouldn’t you know it but I’d put on a lot of the weight I’d lost for the trip, although it is interesting to note that I actually put on weight over the 13.5 days of cycling.

The Manly Steed and I ride to work sometimes, and have done some longer rides in the evening of 15 miles or so, with the longest having been 33 miles over the course of the day.

I sometimes catch myself looking at a far distant horizon and wondering what lies beyond it, and find myself missing the feel of the miles going past under my wheels.

I catch the Manly Steed sometimes looking at me with a speculative glint in its wheel, and can almost hear it whispering to me.

“Where to next?” it seems to ask.

I’m not sure, but I do know one thing for a fact: time on the road, it changes a man.



8 comments:

  1. Really good mate. Excellent job. My turn in 2 weeks. Steve Addy, - A Policeman from Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - I hope it all went well for you!!! Get in touch and let us know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly captivating read. Thank you so much for detailing the highs and lows of this trip. I laughed a lot! I am planning a trip this September and your account has been invaluable. Well done to you both. Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete

      Thanks for your comment - I still read this every few months and wonder about doing it again!!

      How did you get on?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I've really enjoyed reading your story. Not many give much more than a route guide, you have told us HOW it was.
      An inspiring read.
      I am planning to do it solo unsupported in May 2015.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Marcus - I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Good luck in 2015 - you've got some time to get fit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just finished reading all 13.5 days. Really interesting, I am planning a solo unsupported trip in June 2014. New bike arrived today, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete